The Weekly Seafood Report was created and provided to Foofhonebook by Hopkins Seafood in Philadelphia PA. Our goal is to educate our local chef and restaurant owners on the seasonal seafood options available to them. Our seafood report provides seasonal seafood options. Any restaurant that doesn’t have seafood items are missing out ion great value for its customers and profits for their establishment. Please enjoy our seafood report.
1) Our container of Snow Crab Clusters has arrived. We have 3/5, 5/8, 8/10 & 10/12 oz Clusters available.
2) US West Coast Crab processors & fishermen have reached an agreement ending the 2 week strike. Roughly 1,200 boats will now be out harvesting, product from San Francisco is currently available. We have both Clusters & Whole Cooked Crabs in stock.
3) Availability & quality of Indonesian (Bay Colony) & our Vietnamese (VIP) pasteurized Crabmeat is very good. Pricing especially on the VIP crabmeat is excellent & will compare with the lower regarded Chinese meat that is out there.
4) Hopkins’s buyers have been working to get the freshest product for your health conscious, seafood loving customers. We have been importing wonderful tasting species like: Grouper from Mexico, Bronzino
from Greece, Tilapia
& Yellow Fin Tuna from Costa Rica, Halibut & Salmon from Norway, Arctic Char & Cod from Iceland, Barramundi
from Bali, Ocean Trout & Salmon from Scotland, just to name a few.
5) Meanwhile closer to home we have been receiving these wonderful gems that are Locally Harvested: Swordfish, Mako Shark, Monkfish, Striped Bass, Fluke/Flounder, Bluefish, Black Sea Bass, Mackerel, Porgies, Skate, Hake, Clams, Oysters & Scallops.
6) All Mussels & Oysters remain in good supply, you can’t beat the quality, flavor or value. Larger sizes of Clams remain tight, although currently the mild temperatures are improving supplies.
7) Global demand for Farmed Salmon remains strong, coupled with supply issues are causing prices to increase yet again. Availability is really tight as product that would be harvested now in Chile, was wiped away by the EMS outbreak back in May. Supply has been limited & forecasts show this will continue for at least for the 1st quarter of 2017. Prices of Norwegian Salmon were 40% higher in 2016. It is not all doom & gloom for the Salmon industry as Salmon was added to the “Top 10 Superfoods list for 2017.” Salmon’s popularity will continue to grow as the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids are more widely publicized.
8) Bronzinos & Dorades from Greece make great whole fish presentations or you can let our experts fillet them. Allowing our cutters to fillet them for you, gives you a realized plate cost not too mention frees up labor in the kitchen.
9) The majority of the Sea Scallops being landed are 20/30 & 30/40s. Our Fresh Dry Sea Scallops are quick to sear & caramelize when cooked.
10) All forms of Chilean Sea Bass remain high in price due to strong global demand. We have plenty of H&G, fillet & 4,6,8 & 10 oz boneless & skinless portions available.
11) Chinese New Year is Saturday January 28th. The majority of Asian fishermen will take 2 weeks off around it, Tuna will be in high demand.
12) Fresh Squid remains limited as Rhode Island fishermen have reported the Squid have moved further out. Squid season is underway in Argentina, early reports are product is scarce. We do have plenty of high quality frozen product available.
13) Availability of Fresh Long Line Fish remains tight. The boats should be returning from fishing off the full moon, hopefully this will bring some price relief. Thanks to new measures in Peru, Tuna landings are expected to increase by 80%. Prices of our IQF Swordfish & Sashimi Grade Ahi Tuna steaks, loins & blocks remain the same great value.
14) Our sales of Fresh & Frozen Barramundi are increasing, must have been because of Oprah Winfrey’s stating it was here favorite fish.
15) The US, Iceland & believe it or not Russia have been found to have the world’s healthiest fisheries.
16) It is not too early to start to plan for Mardi Gras (February 28) & Lent-Ash Wednesday (March 1st). Speaking of Lent we have plenty of Whole, Cooked, Seasoned U/10 Crawfish, the size is mighty impressive.
V.P. Sales & Marketing
E.Frank Hopkins Co.,Inc.